Saturday, June 04, 2005

the sonic "boom" in cyberspace

As I mentioned previously, I recently fell into the world of listening to podcasts. I have rather odd taste, but on a main stream level I listen to:

The DV Show
SlashDot Review
Slacker Astronomy
TWiT


Podcasts are the online experience of listening to short (well sometimes short) radio broadcasts which are downloaded to your favorite "player" and listened to at your convenience. So far my player is my laptop, but wouldn't it be great to have a combo audio/video player that you could haul around... hmmmm, perhaps the Creative Portable Media Center could do the trick?

However, the casting that I really, really enjoy is the video podcasts (or screencasts or video blogs or vlogs). These are clearly new enough that the name has not defacto'ed out as yet. Once again, that Creative PMC might be the call here.

My taste is a bit odd, but on a normal level I listen to:

Rocketboom
MichaelVerdi


Michael's site freevlog introduced me to the making of vlogs and the basics behind making the videos themselves. Although as yet I have not been able to duplicate the quality he gets while maintaining a small file size. His productions are Mac based and I am primarily PC based so that might be a factor {sorry, I am neither a PC nor Mac bigot, so no holy wars here}. If you are interested in this topic be sure to drop by the freevlog site for the best "freebie" tips around.

But the one "cast" that I look forward to each weekday is the RocketBoom broadcast. For those unfamiliar with RocketBoom.com featuring Amanda Congdon. Rocketboom apparently started up in October of 2004. Since then, the partnership of Amanda and Andrew Baron have produced a series of topical shorts that sometimes make you think; sometimes make you smile; sometimes make your jaw drop but always entertain. BTW, Michael Verdi and Joshua Kinberg provide editing and advice to the production. In addition, Rocketboom has expanded their staff to include remote correspondents. Now, beware, not everyone is normal in this space! Thank goodness!

My personal opinion is that as the mainstream media moves forward, they will miss the "casting" opportunity and small operations such as Rocketboom will become BIG operations. RB, and the like, will fill the void of honest, grassroots reporting/enterainment that the geek community is seeking. {previous entry on Jeff Jarvis's vlog makes a good point}

Oh, here's a possible future trivia fact... who was the first commercial TV video logging entity... {Jeopardy music inserted here}...


Okay, it is just my opinion and it could be that no one will remember, but Max Headroom was the first to broadcast video from within a computer. So, now, everytime I watch someone's vlog entry, images of Max come up from the recesses of my brain.

Well until next time, see ya "Twenty Minutes Into The Future" max

1 comment:

Rich said...

Here is an additional Rocketboom.com page that has links for all types of feeds.


This includes a link for cellphones.