Wednesday, January 12, 2005

the perfect example of Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP)

Today I read an article about Google whacking.
GW is the ability to enter 2 words into the Google search box and have it return only one result.

Thinking that this was a pretty darn cool thing to play with, I tried one of the examples in the story.
To my surprise, the first example returned 3 results not 1. I thought "how lame", the article was wrong.
However, undeterred I entered the 2nd example and sure enough multiple results came back.

Now, of course, I am thinking that this reporter really did not do her research and was just publishing hear-say info.
But wait, I looked at the results and what do my wandering eyes spy, yes the results now hold references to the very article on Google Whacking that I am reading.

Ahhhh, enlightenment beams its warm glow. By measuring or in this case writing about a subject, the reporter has affected the results.
I have heard this somewhere. Oh yea, high school physics. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle roughly stated says -
~ the experimenter's measuring, changes the results of the experiment ~

So in this case, Google has indexed these new items as well as the original reference, now causing the Google Whack to disappear.

Some say Google has a god-like influence. Well, I don't know about that... but I figure that any mere search engine that can prove a scientific principle is pretty darn amazing.

So, the result of this is the perfect challenge. Google Whacking is perfect! You can play but don't tell of your success. If you brag to the universe, "god" will find you and put back in your place amongst the rest of us. ;-)

No comments: