Saturday, May 29, 2004

Why would anyone write here?

You know some people just need to write.   Some do this well, while others simply spew.
I think I am probably one of the spewers.
 
The person that got me started was Wil Wheaton.   The hell you say!  Rather indirectly.  Wil hosted Call for Help (unfortunately CfH  has been retired by the G4/TechTV marriage) one week and mentioned his site and book Just A Geek.  After visiting his site, I was amazed at his writing style and what his blogs brought out as information and his essence.
 
I started writing.  Not for gain.  Not for fame.  Not even for recognition.  Just to write. 
 
Okay, so why here?  If I wanted to write and not receive any of the above, then why not quietly jot these ramblings on some paper and stuff them in a drawer some where?
 
First, I am a nerd.  Computers and the Internet are where I find challenge and interesting involvements.  I have a non-nerd life, which is another facet of the whole, but the nerd part is truly fun. 
 
Second, I love to write but have not for 30 some years. 
 
Last but not least, I have a life with the most wonderful person I have ever known.  It was a very long, crooked road that brought me to her.   She inspires me to be more than just a day to day person.
 
All these elements combined to focus me once again toward writing.  It is a convenient opportunity that presents itself with each evening's computer journey.  The fact is, I am writing again.
 
If it is read, great.  But my enjoyment comes from the writing.  
 
The absolute greatest accomplishment of this writing would be if someone read it and
started writing simply because they discovered, as I did, it is a joy not a chore.
 
Thanks Wil.    

No comments: