Monday, May 31, 2004

from the real world... via the net

You might recall that I mentioned that from time to time I stop by the real world to see how things are going.  For the most part it is a thrill to be there.  Occasionally, it sucks.  Over the past few days due to medical issues, it has really sucked big time.
 
But today,  while I was cruising through several feeds about TechTV and the ScreenSavers, my daughter came online in IM.  She is in 5th grade and lives with her mom.  Quite the cutie, as well as quite the artist.  Back on one of my geekier days, I taught her how to setup and use IM.  We practiced by IM'ing each other while she was over at my place.  She in her bedroom and me  in the kitchen.  At the time, I thought what a silly thing.  But we enjoyed it!
 
Now, right now,  she is at her mom's and she came online.  We talked for awhile about her anime drawing, her upcoming graduation and just to say I love you.   Ending with an emoticon hug and a kiss.   Sure it is all via the Net.  But you take opportunities when you get them.
 
That silly little exercise of learning IM has turned out to be the any time opportunity to keep in touch with her.  Phone really isn't an option. I said that the solitude was nice here, but so is the connected-ness.   I miss my daughter, but at least we don't lose touch.  Thank goodness for geekiness....
 
;-)
 

No comments: